Prime City Participants

Ukmerge Prime Business Destination

Categoty: Small – Sized cities

Ukmerge-1

Prime city

 

Europe Business Assembly was proud to induct Ukmerge into the Prime Business Destination programme. Budapest was introduced at the London ' Achievements Forum' 21st April 2015.

Ukmerge-2

Ukmergė is one of the oldest towns in Lithuania, formation of which was started with the state of Lithuania. Official date of its foundation is 1333. Legends, inwrought with historical facts, remind an ancient name of the town, Vilkmergė. Once there lived a witchdoctor in the forest. She was called Vilkmergė. The son of duke Dausprungas, Tautvilas, was attacked by wolves while hunting in that forest. The young man was saved from death by a pretty girl, the witchdoctor. She tamed and chased away the ravening wolves. Duke Dausprungas built a castle on the mound, on the bank of the river Šventoji and named it Vilkmergė after the witchdoctor. Soon the town started establishing at the foot of the mound.

Ukmerge-3

At the London forum Mr. Giedrius Pocius, Acting Director of the municipal administration of Ukmerge presented the city’s developments and investment opportunities. After this Ukmerge was presented the Flag and certificate of investment attractiveness.

Ukmerge-4
To symbolise future cooperation and promotion of city and regions investment potential memorandums were signed


About city

 

herb UKMERG

 

https://www.ukmerge.lt/

 

Ukmergė is one of the oldest towns in Lithuania, formation of which was started with the state of Lithuania. Official date of its foundation is 1333. Legends, inwrought with historical facts, remind an ancient name of the town, Vilkmergė. Ukmerge-5Once there lived a witchdoctor in the forest. She was called Vilkmergė. The son of duke Dausprungas, Tautvilas, was attacked by wolves while hunting in that forest. The young man was saved from death by a pretty girl, the witchdoctor. She tamed and chased away the ravening wolves. Duke Dausprungas built a castle on the mound, on the bank of the river Šventoji and named it Vilkmergė after the witchdoctor. Soon the town started establishing at the foot of the mound.
Today Ukmergė is one of major towns – municipality centres. Only a few old towns in Lithuania have survived till nowadays devastation of time and hardships and the old town of Ukmergė is among them. Its Ukmerge-6adornment is the mound, surrounded by the stream Ukmergėlė. Once upon a time a masonry castle stood on the hill. A gross park reminds it at present. The main streets of the town meet at the central Kęstučio square. The administration of Ukmergė district municipality, the District Court, the Holy Trinity Church, Regional museum, Tourism and Business Information Centre, banks, insurance companies and shops are located around the square. The town has been expanding in various directions, retaining the old architecture and varying it with the new one.
BLAZON OF UKMERGE
The blazon and the returned town laws were provided to Ukmergė by the king of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Stanislovas Augustas Poniatovskis on 22 May 1792. The blazon was described in the Act of Restoration of Town Laws and it was declared that such a blazon was chosen by the citizens. Specialists of heraldry explain the symbolism of the blazon as follows: the ruined but renewable house signifies the lost, but regained rights of citizens; the heart is a symbol of hope; the book is the law of towns on the ground of which Ukmergė regained its town laws; the calf on the right side of the book is the royal sign of the Poniatovskiai; the rose with five leaves on the left side of the book is a family sign of J. Kučevskis, the then governor of Ukmergė.
DOTTED LINES OF THE HISTORY OF UKMERGE
Only archaeological findings provide information about the first residents of the territory of the town of Ukmergė. They testify that people settled in this territory around 11th century. 1333 is the official date of the foundation of Ukmergė. That was the year when Ukmergė was first mentioned in written documents, i.e. in the chronicle of Hermani de Wartberge. In the 14th century Ukmergė was mentioned among contemporary towns – castles. It is supposed that the Magdeburg rights were conferred on the town in 1435. In 1554 there were 500 residents in town. In 1595 Ukmergė was first marked on the map of the Great Duchy of Lithuania. Most buildings of the town were wooden, therefore Ukmergė suffered from fires time and again. The first Jews started settling in Ukmergė around 1674. Since then their population was growing constantly so from the beginning of 19th century till World War I Jews constituted the majority of Ukmergė residents. On 22 May 1792 Ukmergė regained the town laws. In 1812 there were about 1900 town residents. In 1847 Ukmergė became the town of the County of the Russian Empire with appropriate rights. Two huge annual fairs and one market per week took place in the town. At the end of 19th century the town began decreasing. At the end of 1918 local authorities and institutions of the Republic of Lithuania began to be established in town. With gradual strengthening of the Lithuanian state, the town also revived. The three largest national diasporas: Lithuanians, Jews and Poles got along with each other. Each of them had their own representatives in local authorities, educational institutions and public organizations which represented versatile cultural and social life. Ukmergė was the centre of the county and the fourth largest town in Lithuania. The composition of town dwellers changed strongly because of Nazi and Soviet occupations – the community of Jews was killed; the major part of the intelligentsia moved to the West or was exiled. Rural inhabitants, terrified by the soviet collectivization, moved to town. In 1950 the county of Ukmergė was abolished. The monument “Lituania Restituta”, built for 10th anniversary of the independence of Lithuania, was demolished in 1951; the cemetery of Jews was tread by bulldozers. The Holy Trinity Church was transformed into a storehouse; the Great Jews synagogue was replaced by the sport school.
Ukmergė developed as a small industrial centre. The town grew and expanded: there were 14 900 residents in 1959 and 21 600 in 1970. In October 1988 the National flag was raised above the Culture Centre of Ukmergė. On 16 February 1990 the monument “Lituania Restituta” was rebuilt. 57 deputies, formally the members of Council of new and independent Republic of Lithuania, were elected in the elections which took place on 23rd March of the same year. A long and difficult way of restoration of the Lithuanian state and self-government of the district as well as of economic reform and creation of civil society started.


Economy and Investments

 

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION OF THE DISTRICT

The town of Ukmergė is the administrative center of the district. Local authorities, majority of services, industrial and business enterprises are concentrated in town. The area of Ukmergė covers 20.45 square kilometers. The town is divided to residential quarters of Senamiestis (Old town), Pašilė, Pivonija, Dukstyna and Pramonė (Industrial). There are 12 administrative units in Ukmergė district, i.e. the one of the town of Ukmergė, of Deltuva, Vidiškiai, Siesikai, Pivonija, Taujėnai, Želva, Pabaiskas, Vepriai, Šešuoliai, Lyduokiai and Žemaitkiemis. Residents are provided with information and being consulted in the administrative units, documents and certificates are issued

ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Ukmergė has always been an important crossroad of the state as one of the largest highway of Lithuania A2 Vilnius – Panevėžys – Riga (international corridor E272 connecting Tallinn and Minsk) as well as the highway A6 Kaunas – Utena connecting Warsaw and St. Petersburg, cross here. Such a geographical position creates favorable conditions not only for concentration of industry and its expansion but also for development of new logistics, transport maintenance, leisure and tourism services. Infrastructure of economy and natural resources also allows business expansion. JSC “Ukmergės vandenys“ supplies underground water from deep mining holes (40-180 meters of depth). Electric power is supplied by 3 lines joined in thimbles, and, in case of trouble, the lines are switched quickly. An arterial gas-pipe crosses the town and possibilities of joining the networks of natural gas are unlimited.
Ukmergė city is crossed by river Šventoji. It divides city in to two parts. Also, there is a lot of lakes in Ukmergė district.

FREE ECONOMIC ZONES AND INVESTMENT PREFERENCES

There is several economic zones for investments in Ukmergė. First of all, we have 3.5 ha area near the city center to develop business. Municipality plans to develop that area with infrastructure and communications needed for business. Surrounding areas of Ukmergė are also attractive for investments. Near most of these areas it is possible to find most of communications such as water, electricity etc.
Ukmergė has few traditional business directions: furniture and wood production companies, steel industry, textile industry and construction. Because of a good geographical location it is also attractive for logistics companies and now the city municipality is seeking for high technology companies and industries. We are also available for all other ideas and businesses to develop